Who knew Copenhagen loved Jazz?

The weekend of November 8th Alison, Amanda, and I boarded a plane to Copenhagen. If only that was the whole story. This just happened to be the day that the Tube caught on fire. So all the stations by Courtfield were closed. We walked for an hour to try to find a cab on a Friday at 5 in the pouring rain which was NOT in our favor. Eventually we made it to Victoria station but not before missing our bus. We begged an pleaded and finally managed to pay a change fee to get on the next bus to Gatwick to barely make our plane which was delayed, then magically NOT delayed without warning! Eventually we landed in Copenhagen. We were excited to go to Tivoli Gardens but just our luck it was closed to decorate for Christmas THAT weekend! Not letting this get us down we went on half a walking tour then shopped. The next day we went to the National Museum of Denmark which was super fun. We saw the changing of the guards at Amalienborg Palace, the Hans Christian Anderson Little Mermaid statue, and the famous Nyhavn harbor. We even stopped by Chritiania for a short time. Alison and I went out to a cafe the first night and listened to a band play a really strange but enjoyable mix between jazz and rap while we made up rules to round checkers and tried to translate and play Danish monopoly. The next day we met up with Liz and went to the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek museum. Then we went to the oldest Jazz bar in Copenhagen which was absolutely amazing. We had the BEST time listening to several different bands come together using members of other bands forming impromptu groups and playing impromptu music in a bar so crowded with people you could barely find a place to stand. We said out goodbyes to Liz and attempted to make out way back to London the next morning at 4 am. What we didn’t realize was that the gates to the main train station didn’t open until 5am which was still in time for us to make out flight but not quite soon enough to stop us from freaking out because we couldn’t get into the station for a good 15 minutes. But in the end all was well.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s